You are trying to be healthy, exercise, eat right (whatever that means!), and also keep your sanity as a woman right? So when it comes to your health is a walk worth it?
I would say that it is. There have been seasons of my life where I have written off a walk as ‘extra’ exercise but I didn’t count it towards my daily goal of exercise. But as I get older I just see that as plain silly! Here’s why…if my goal is overall health, which it is, a walk is great for me in so many ways:
- I got outside and had time to think. Many times I use this time to pray. In a world that can seem to be going a million miles an hour I think many of us could use a few minutes to just slow down and touch base with what is happening in our hearts, mind, and spirit.
- I walked to the store which allowed me to pick up a few things I needed for dinner and breakfast tomorrow.
- I pushed Nathan in the stroller. READ: Baby is happy!!! Ha! He’s totally a chill baby but he’s at that age that he wants to crawl so tries to get out of my arms but then when I put him down he cries because he wants me to hold him. In the stroller he was happy and ended up falling asleep. I was then able to finish the laundry when I got back while he slept.
- I was sweating. Yes, ‘just’ going for a walk got my heart rate up and therefore caused me to burn a few extra calories and also strengthen my heart.
- I’ve been trying to think of exercises I will be able to do for the long haul. Walking is one of them. A friend of mine said his philosophy is that he does now what he ENJOYS doing and what he knows his body will be able to do for years to come. Loving his body now so that it can continue to take care of him for the long haul. I loved that perspective. We sometimes live so in the moment that we forget to think about how even ‘healthy’ choices will effect us years from now. Walking is something that I can enjoy and benefit from for years to come.
So I say go for it! Go out and walk! See it as a way to love your body for so many different reasons!
What do you think about walking?